This is a super idea, and one that I will definitely be featuring at SAGT in my seminar !
Imagine this as a homework activity for a group of students: find an album cover with an image which you can geo-locate, and explain the geographical significance of it too. OK, it will probably have to be a CD cover, but take a few LPs into school so that the students can say "wow, they're huge !" The images could be of buildings or a landforms: off the top of my head I can think of the cover of 'Tubular Bells' (but which beach was that ?), Dave Lee Roth's 'Skyscraper' with him on a vertical wall (but which one ?)

Time to get out the albums from my loft and see if I can geo-locate some of them.

Someone is already ahead of the game though. The WORD MAGAZINE ALBUM ATLAS is a great idea which has already got quite a large number of albums geo-located on GOOGLE MAPS. Here's an example from David Hepworth (THE David Hepworth ?) of the Pink Floyd album "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", the cover of which featured a load of beds on a beach, but which beach ?

One album that I knew I could find fairly easily was The Stranglers' album: "Norfolk Coast", the cover of which was shot on Hunstanton beach, 4 miles from home.

Here's an image I took during the Summer of the seaweed covered rocks the band stands on.

And here is the album: added to the ATLAS...
Why not add your own and get your students to add one of theirs.
Back up into the loft for more LPs....

Comments