Getting to grips: Nexus 7 - Update 2

I've had the Nexus 7 a few weeks now, though for 2 of those I was on holiday...

I like the way the tablet switches on with the animated X - seems to boot up faster than my iPad (no. 1 vintage) and also charges faster. The battery life is excellent - I haven't used it to watch many films yet though - not that interested in the Transformers movie that came with it. I bought a nice case from Amazon which produces a device about the size of a small format paperback book, and slips into large pockets, and exterior pocket on my main rucksack. It's also a good screen size for the Kindle app, and a slightly less shiny screen than the iPad for reading outside / on trains etc.

There isn't a camera on the device, but there is an app which 'creates' one from the front-facing camera that is built-in. The quality isn't great, but good enough for what you might need given that I already have a DSLR and an iPhone with Hipstamatic and Snapseed installed if I want to take a photo and I generally have one of those with me at all times...

I like the way that the three buttons at the bottom of the device screen work, with the apps being queued up and accessible or switched off, so that you can move between the active apps, and also switch off the ones you no longer need.

I also like the Google Voice search, which also answers questions. For me, it works far better than SIRI, which I have never got on with, although it doesn't perform all the personal organisation tasks that SIRI is (apparently) capable of...

Content can be transferred from a Mac by installing the app here - this allows for music etc. to be copied across, although I tend to use streaming services for music.


Google Play store works well and apps are easy to find. Not sure yet what to spend my £15 credit of Google Play on yet, and still have it all intact.

Spotify streaming works well and can also save files to play later. Not all the apps are available that are on iOS (obviously) but a little searching often provides a compromise or solution e.g. the TV CatchUp app is not available on Google Play, but can be downloaded directly from a website by temporarily changing the security settings and doing a direct download and install.
Sound quality is good on my noise-cancelling headphones.

Still looking for decent Twitter client - Tweetdeck works OK but not ideal due to screen layout and interface... any suggestions welcome...
Update: trying Slices at the moment...
Update 2: settled on Tweetcaster....

I like the pull down menu from the top of the screen which brings you up to date with recent changes and activity on the device.

The battery life is excellent. I've had the device on and off through the day and it lasted three days before needing charging. Obviously with more intensive use that would not last quite as long.
I find the placement of the side buttons a little fiddly and have to reach around to find the one I want, especially when changing volume or doing a screenshot, but that's not a major issue.

So far, very impressed, but I won't be giving up my iPad just yet...

Update 3: Put Minecraft Pocket Edition on for my son - works well...

Does anyone else have a Nexus 7 and have some ideas to add to this post ?

Comments

AnneG said…
Enjoying reading your thoughts on the Nexus! I use TweetCaster for Twitter on my S2 - not sure if it works on Nexus but could be worth a look? I tried various Twitter apps and settled on this :-)
Alan Parkinson said…
Thanks Anne. Just installing that now - latest version has been updated for Nexus 7 devices and Jelly Bean it says...

Richard Allaway also suggested 'Plume' so I'll have a look at that too...
AnneG said…
Cool, let me know how you get on with it, and Plume too.

Also how does the Nexus compare with the iPad in terms of size? And is it substantially bigger than the iPhone?
Alan Parkinson said…
Going to stick with TweetCaster I think - thanks for the recommendation.
Have sent you a picture for comparison. Nexus 7 screen is a good size. It's OK for carrying around in one hand, and lighter than iPad...
AnneG said…
Excellent - hope you still like it after you've used it for a while! Thanks also for the photo, really interesting to compare!