GA Conference Programme available...

The programme for the 2013 GA Conference can now be downloaded from the GA website.

It outlines the events that will take place on each day of conference. A more detailed version similar to the one in the conference handbook will appear in 2013.

I had a quick look and jotted down a possible route through the conference for me....
One problem (although it's a good one to have) is that there are so many good sessions that there are some clashes and I can't see everything that I would like to.

Thursday

Arrival - I'm staying at the main hotel as organised by the University of Derby by the railway station.
I'll probably pop into the Association at Work session, to say hello to a few people and grab some lunch.
Public lecture: this is being given by Dame Ellen MacArthur
GA awards: I have a few things which are in for awards, so will go along to see how I did :)
Wine reception - more chats with colleagues
SPC meal and beers (to be confirmed)

Friday

9.00-9.50
An early start for a lecture by Jamie Buchanan Dunlop on the World's oceans which will have lots of updates on the recent trip that Jamie made to the Great Barrier Reef (as blogged about here on Living Geography)

10-11
Bob Digby's Presidential Lecture - as someone who was so interested in the preparations for the Olympics it's no surprise that this will be the theme of Bob's lecture...

Ian Cook's session is on at the same time, and would like to have seen that.
There's also an interesting lecture by Rita Gardner, Director of the RGS-IBG

11.45-12.35 is an SPC workshop which I shall go and support and help out in

2.55-3.45 - Katy Shipman and I will be doing a workshop on apps in the classroom
4.30-5.20 - Tony Cassidy, John Sayers and I will be doing a workshop on collaborative projects, including Geography SOLO, Radical geography and something from me
5.35 - 6.25 - Emma Rawling Smith is doing a session which I shall go and support

That evening is the GeoBeerMeet down by the Railway Station - details in previous blog posts - organised by Richard Allaway who is also doing several sessions which mostly clash with mine :)

Saturday

9 - 9.50: Karl Donert and Michaela Lindner-Fally talk about a project I've been involved in
10 - 11: Keynote lecture on the rapidly changing Arctic
11.45 - 12.35: I'll be leading a Mission:Explore Fieldtrip opportunity....
1.15 - 2: As a newly appointed Primary Champion I'll go along to the Primary reception

There's a few other things to squeeze in there and no doubt meeting lots of friends, and also people who I've worked with/for and created resources for over the years...
Looking forward to it already...

Update
An extra feature of this year's conference is the Young Geographer's strand, where teachers can bring up to six students to take part in some special events. Visit the GA website for more details.

Comments