Yinka Shonibare

Regular readers of the blog will know that I get involved in quite a few art - geography crossovers, whether that involves art, sculpture or music...

At the weekend, I was up in Yorkshire, and spent a large part of Sunday at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
This is a place that I have been to quite a lot of times over the years. I used to drive past it on the way to Huddersfield (see previous post) and an artist friend Caroline Kent studied there (I'm fortunate enough to own several of her wonderful paintings)
I'd not been for a while and it's changed substantially with a new visitor centre and shop and a restaurant which served up an excellent lunch.

We were there to see the Yinka Shonibare exhibition in particular.
This has quite a geographical theme, with works on the theme of global warming, a series of climate paintings, and a room which explored the impact of oil exploration and the process of globalisation on the artist's native Nigeria.
Well worth a visit if you're passing, and it's on until the end of August.

Image: Alan Parkinson

Comments