Congratulations to Val Vannet

Picked up via my Facebook page today that my friend Val Vannet was today awarded the highest education award from the Royal Scottish Geographical Society: the Joy Tivy Education Medal
It's only been awarded six times, the last time being in 2013, when some other bloke won it.

It's awarded for:

exemplary, outstanding and inspirational teaching, educational policy or work in formal and informal educational arenas.


Val retires later this year after many decades of inspirational teaching, and also leading the development of the Scottish Association of Geography Teachers and developing their conference. An invitation to the SAGT in 2006 was the first time I met other colleagues who've guided my thinking over the years, such as Ollie Bray, and helped lead me on the path which took me to work for the GA, and also help with the prime period of networking through SLN.

This award is very well deserved, and thousands of students and colleagues have benefited from Val's skills and generosity. This is a significant piece of good news for Val, and many of the posts on this, and other blogs, have drawn on her work.

Comments