Geography... broadening the mind

The Royal Geographical Society's #choosegeography campaign has been given a boost today by the views of Michael Palin (who was RGS-IBG President for three years)

It's also a boost for our #GetOutside campaigning as well, as he clearly valued the importance of fieldwork in helping shape his thoughts.

“I looked at books, I looked at maps, I looked at atlases, I enjoyed that, but the thing that inspired me most of all was being taken from the school into the local area to look at nature to look at the way the land looked, to understand the geography, to walk up little hills and streams and see how the ecological system worked, look at the environment."
Getting outdoors was “where the magic appeal of geography lies,” he said. “It’s being out there, it’s being able to see and touch and feel what the land is like”.

 

Comments