Barry Lopez review by Robert MacFarlane

Back in 1986, while training as a teacher in Hull, I went to the University bookshop and noticed a striking book cover, and the title 'Arctic Dreams'. It was a book by the American author Barry Lopez, and it has been one I have re-read many times since.

I have all Lopez's books, and have been waiting for his next 'proper' book for many years. A few years ago, there was an amazing interview with him, which was published here.

I have used some of Lopez's work in my teaching, and also in my work with teachers over the decades.
Lopez finally has a new book out later this month, and Robert MacFarlane has written a review for this weekend's Guardian. It sounds as if it will be worth the wait...

Lopez’s writing throughout this book is pulled taut between his need to register the extreme urgency of the environmental crisis, and his long-held belief in time, patience and the careful observation of other cultures as the basis for a fix: “As time grows short, the necessity to listen attentively to foundational stories other than our own becomes imperative.

Here are several things you need to do:

1. Get a copy of Arctic Dreams and read it if you haven't.....

2, Order a copy of Horizon...

Watch this to see what I mean....

"If you're going to tell a story, tell a story that helps...."

Comments