David Attenborough in the New Scientist

"When I was at school in Leicester, I remember very well in the sixth form, the chemistry master coming in and saying “boys, the most marvellous advance has been made! Everybody thinks that you’re living in the age of steam and electricity, but you’re not. The next age has come. The age of plastic! Isn’t it wonderful! Thanks to the cleverness of the scientists who produced it, this marvellous material is indestructible.” And neither I nor the chemistry master – nor many other people, I guess – said, what happens when it wears out?

The earth sciences are the basic sciences from which we start and unless we know the processes that control Earth we aren’t going to be able to handle them.

I was educated in geology, to an extent, but when I was 16 I didn’t think about the consequences for the economy, I just wanted to know about fossils. But economically earth sciences are extremely important. We get so much from Earth, raw materials.

But having said what I just said, part of the joy of life is to know and appreciate the world in which we live in, which is full of wonder. "

The situation is becoming more and more dreadful and still our population continues to increase. It’s about time that the human population of the world came to its senses and saw what we are doing – and did something about it.

David Attenborough in 'New Scientist'

Comments