Why Study Geography?

I'm preparing some resources for the GA Conference in April, which I realised earlier will be 'next month' by tomorrow morning...

One of the things I've been asked to do in my JVP role is to talk to the Young Geographers about the value of studying Geography, and where it can take you. I have a number of activities in mind, including some Top Trumps style activities and exploring how geographical knowledge and skills can help take you to new places both literally and career-wise.

I'm also currently working on a book which explores those same important questions: why should young people study geography? where can it take them? what are some excellent university courses? what job opportunities are opened up by studying Geography?

The world seriously needs more geographers, but what can they do that they can persuade somebody to pay them for doing?

Please help by filling in the form here if you have a few moments. Or follow this link - feel free to send the link to others as well.

If you'd be happy for me to contact you further, and perhaps get a mention in the final resource(s) please get in touch. I need a real diverse mix of contributors so that it is as representative as possible of the geography student and teacher body.

Comments