Mystery marker

I often take a little detour on the way to school for photography or to take a road I've not taken before - there are plenty of Fenland droves to try out.
This morning, I paused to find a stone I had seen on Facebook.
It's pictured below.


It's marked with the logo of the Isle of Ely rowing club, which was founded in 2004.
This turns out to be the 60th anniversary of an event that happened in 1944, during the Second World War.
Here's a Pathe News film of the event - Brendan Conway sent me the link.
The Oxford vs Cambridge boat race was held on a stretch between Ely and Littleport which I drive alongside every day on the way to work. It ended just before the bridge in Queen Adelaide, and this is on the levee.

What little bit of history is hidden somewhere on your commute?

Comments