Shackleton lecture

I've long been a tremendous admirer of the exploration exploits of Sir Ernest Shackleton and his rescue of the crew of his ship during the ill-fated Trans-Antarctic Expedition.
When I taught in King's Lynn, we founded a Shackleton Society, and visited the James Caird at Dulwich College, which Shackleton sailed along with Worsley, Crean and others from Elephant Island to South Georgia.
When I had my Warner interview for my current teaching job and was asked who my hero was, I explained how it was Shackleton.
I have a copy of the James Caird in my classroom.
There is a Facebook group dedicated to Sir Ernest, which is maintained and moderated by Stephen Scott-Fawcett, who lives in Norfolk.
This lecture is well worth watching as he explores the man and the myth.


Haslemere Festival 2019 12/05/2019 Ernest Shackleton, Polar Explorer. Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton CVO OBE (1874-1922) was an Irish-born polar explorer who was involved in four major British expeditions to the Atlantic (leader of three). He was a principle figure in the period known as the 'Heroic Age' of Antartic exploration. This illustrated lecture by Stephen Scott-Fawcett MA (Cantab) FRGS will explore Shackleton - the man and the myth. Stephen is editor of the James Caird Society Journal - named after the 23ft life boat 'James Caird' in which Shackleton set out to rescue his trapped crew. Filmed and Edited by Will Pattenden

Comments