Hugh Lupton: the power of stories

This is a really wonderful book, and I've been spending time with it for the last few months since buying it from the publisher's shop: the Book Hive in Norwich.

It's a compilation of pieces written by Hugh Lupton over the years for a number of different events and audiences. 

They are all about the folk tales and stories that he has immersed himself in over the decades, plus the musicians he has collaborated with, and the various influences on his practices.
There's a great chapter on the stories of Iceland, which add some particular mythic quality.
There is also reference to many other projects that he has been involved with, and other key storytellers.

Towards the end of the book there is also an excellent chapter which is taken from a book that I own, published by Unbound and all about the work of the author Alan Garner, who is also an influence on his work.

If you are in Norwich I recommend that you pay a visit to the Book Hive, and perhaps pick up a copy of the book for yourself.

The author's website is here:



I plan to mention some key quotes from the book as they relate to landscape / narrative / sense of place in a post over on my GeoLibrary blog, which I will add when I get a moment.

Comments