Lost pubs

An interesting piece in the Sheffield Tribune from a while back on the lost pubs of the east end of Sheffield and an area called Attercliffe.

Growing up, I would travel through this area on the 69 bus from Rotherham, followed by the 101 back up to the village where I lived. This cost 2p or 4p at the time, and was part of daily life. It was where Rotherham merged into Sheffield and steel mills and rolling mills and wire works were located, including the Templeborough works and Steel, Peech and Tozer where my father worked. Meadowhall was also a steel works back then.

Many pubs are now facing an additional pressure because of the rising food and energy costs. We are seeing more close their doors every week.

When I lived in Snettisham in Norfolk I discovered there were once around 10 pubs on the street I lived on alone... all small establishments with probably just one room where beer was served.

Can you uncover the lost hostelries in your own home area?

Comments