King's Ely Seismometer trace

We have a seismometer at my school, which is part of the IRIS global network.

The equipment picked up the seismic waves from the devastating and horrifying quake that hit Türkiye and Syria at the start of the week.

This is by far the biggest trace we have ever received on this equipment since it was installed.

The latest Relief Web updates have provided the latest news on the worsening situation, which has been exacerbated by the winter weather conditions and many aftershocks. 

As the death toll rises, a reminder that you can contribute to the DEC appeal here.


The people of Turkïye and Syria, particularly my geographer friends I have worked with over the years who live there, are in my thoughts, as are the families and friends of students and others associated with the school who are from the region - and of course the millions who I have never met and hope stay strong through this terrible test of their resilience.

Comments