GA Conference 23 #4: A live recording of GeogPod

One of the more interesting sessions at the GA Conference 2023.

You can listen to the PODCAST here, or you may have your own preferred podcast platform.

Richard Phillips is the main guest, and he invited two other people to the conversation: Professor Tariq Jazeel and Maddy Starzak, who talked to John Lyon.

Richard started by talking about how important his teachers were to him, and Maddy agreed with him. Tariq explained how geography was the subject that he saw as being expansive to his imagination.

He talks about Richard Mabey's book 'Common Ground' and also 'The Unofficial Countryside'.

Maddy referenced 'Edgelands' - a book that is also in my collection.

I referenced Richard's work in my own GA Presidential lecture. 

There are several links to my own work here, which weren't picked up by John or the speakers:

Richard wrote an introduction to the theme of 'Changing Places', which was essential for the development of the Edexcel 'A' level specification. He served on the 'A' Level Content Advisory Board, which led to the development of new specs, which in turn inspired the Edexcel NING which I mapped and 

He referenced the work of Doreen Massey and her work on 'Place'.

He also read a piece by Denis Cosgrove, who I referenced in my Presidential lecture, which was very much about the Quotidian - my Presidential theme.

Richard came across our Mission:Explore books and referenced it in an article which he wrote on creative fieldwork for 'Geography'. This also references the work of Keri Smith and others.

He also wrote a book that I referenced in my own work: on the geographies of Georges Perec which featured Kevin Boniface. Both of those were part of my Presidential lecture.

He also references Richard Hawley's music in 'Standing at the Sky's Edge'.

You can revisit my Presidential Lecture here.

Comments