High-tech geography

A cross posting from my blog on the GA and its Presidents - check it out if you haven't paid a visit.

The Geographical Association has a very high reputation for its publications: the most recent of which is the 2nd edition of Margaret Roberts' seminal 'Geography through Enquiry'.

 In the year 2000, the GA published a book called High-tech Geography: ICT in Secondary Schools. I have a copy as shown in the pictures.

It was compiled by Sheila King who was working as a Lecturer in Education at the Institute of Education at the time.

Although just over 20 years old now, things have rather moved on since then.

In the year 2000 I was starting my dalliance with the internet and web pages, and learning HTML coding. My first websites went up on Tripod hosting, and then I bought my own Domain name in 2001 with the appearance of the GeographyPages website.

The book features chapters written by different contributors. See the contents below.

There are contributions from several people mentioned on this blog as well, including Chris Durbin and David Gardner - who was teaching in Scarborough at the time - as well as David Hassell from BECTa, who worked with the GA and funded quite a few projects, including one I was involved in, where I wrote about blogging. I also attended a few research events they funded.

Diana Freeman, who produced the AEGIS GIS mapping package also added a chapter. I later worked with Diana a little when I was freelance.

I liked the chapter on presentation software which suggested that geography teachers might be interested in a new product which was called Microsoft Powerpoint. It replaced the overhead projector and transparencies apparently, with some whizzy effects; and David Hassell explained how to teach when you only have one computer... imagine that...

Comments