GTE Conference 2024 #2: Saturday

The second day of the conference started at 9am. The first session was on something called the ITAP, which is part of teacher training. I spoke to Rafael Miguel de Gonzalez who had presented yesterday, and we discussed some possibilities for a few forthcoming projects later in the year - exciting.

This was the most full day of the conference. After the first break, it was Christine Winter: one of the GA's Research Engagement Leads (REL). I was involved in the decision to invest in the work of Christine and her fellow REL Daniel Whittall and they have been doing excellent work. This was followed by Kate Stockings: a familiar name to many through her excellent CPD and resource sharing. She has recently taken on a new role in a SCITT and shared her experiences.  This was very helpful for all concerned.

Pete Loader led us through some entertaining practicals which were a taster of the ESTA course he runs each year, usually with assistance from Duncan Hawley - a GA legend. He also has a website of Earth Science Ideas. This was a great session. Miguel, a colleague from several ERASMUS projects talked about a project called BIOMAPS. This is a collection of StoryMaps featuring links to European literature.

This was followed by lunch where I had a good chat to Pete Loader. He's a legend.

After lunch, Miguel and I headed in for a quick trip around York, and I took him on a trip to see some of the key sites in the city, John Snow's plaque, the Minster and a walk up along the Roman Walls of course. 


Image: Clifford's Tower - image by Alan Parkinson, CC licensed

After lunch, we had a session on VOICES.

This included an update on the Voices Project from Chantal Mayo Holloway.

This is one of the most useful of recent projects, and had some support from the GA, and involved Christine Winter.

The day ended with a real highlight for many concerned: a session from the legendary Margaret Roberts, who talked us through the creation of the 2nd edition of her classic 'Geography through Enquiry'. I asked her to sign my copy which triggered a few other people to ask the same thing.

This was a great session to end the day, and I then had a pint and chat with some of the other delegates who I'd not met before today. I gave a few colleagues a lift into town, and then my evening was spent at my parents, with my brother and sister coming over too... the first time we'd been together for quite some time...

Comments