Stay cool

One of the relatively recent GeogLive! events was on the theme of energy, and Anthony Barlow mentioned the presence (and increasing absence) of the structures called Cooling Towers.

I have this print in my classroom. It's of the cooling towers which used to stand next to Tinsley Viaduct. It's by Jonathan Wilkinson and is available in a number of different sizes. 

Rowan Moore's piece in The Guardian suggests that the 45 remaining cooling towers should be given protected status because of their heritage value. Modern power stations will no longer need them. The only type of power station that needs them these days potentially are geothermal plants (of which we have none) and they tend to be utilitarian in nature and cylindrical rather than these huge cathedrals to steam...

I used to be able to see several from near my house as I drove down into Rotherham, and a trip up to the edge of the Peak District. I passed the Tinsley Towers many many times. 

Their presence became part of quotidian experiences, which meant that their eventual disappearance left a gap in the landscape, like a lost tooth.

Driving to my parents in York would take me past Ferrybridge.

They have featured as filming locations, such as a scene in Terry Gilliam's 'Brazil' as well.

What are your memories of cooling towers?

Comments