Feeling the heat... and reaching for the cold

A cross-posting from my GeoLibrary blog.

As we move through yet another heatwave I've been consoling myself by seeking out the books on my shelves that have a connection with ice and snow... last night was the hottest so far....

Hopefully if I press myself against the pages I can feel a bit cooler.

It turns out I have quite a few of them.

They include the following:

  • 'A Cold Spell: A Human History of Ice' - Max Leonard
  • 'Icebreaker' - Horatio Clare
  • 'Snö' - Sverker Sörlin
  • 'Snow Widows' - Katherine MacInnes
  • 'Cold' - Ranulph Fiennes
  • 'Winterlust' - Bernd Brunner
  • 'Extreme North' - Bernd Brunner
  • 'On Time and Water' - Andri Snaer Magnason
  • 'Frostlines' by Neil Shea

  • 'Nature's Mutiny' by Philipp Blom - explores the Little Ice Age.

I also came across details of a recent event which explored research around the period called 'The Little Ice Age'.


First coined by geologist François Matthias in 1939, the term ‘Little Ice Age’ has carried a multiplicity of meanings since, ranging from a period of glacial advance to several centuries of cooler than average temperatures. Some have limited its geography to Europe or Eurasia, while others have claimed a ‘global’ Little Ice Age. Exact chronologies have also varied with typical start dates set between the fourteenth to seventeenth centuries and termini in the late nineteenth or early twentieth century.

The Little Ice Age has been used to explain social, economic, political, cultural and environmental change, and been associated with episodes of famine, disease, religious and military conflict, and even the emergence of European colonialism.

There's also the classic 'Arctic Dreams' by Barry Lopez. 

Some fictional books as well:

  • 'The Ice Palace' - Tarjei Vesaas 
  • 'Ice' - Anna Kavan

Comments