3 to the rescue...

3 is certainly the magic number...
Visited a school in Suffolk yesterday where the internet for the school hadn't been working for several days. Trouble was that my session was on free web-based GIS....
My 3 mobile broadband was essential (as it has proved to be in the past...) as the school was luckily in an area with good phone reception with 3G coverage, so I was able to stream Google Earth with Robin Brock's OS layer, and a range of other tools at a good speed...

I recommended to the department that if the ICT was as 'dodgy' as they said, that one possibility would be to get a departmental MiFi so that they could do the essential online things that they had to do... I know of other schools that have done exactly that. It also helps get around those pesky 'filters' that stop you accessing useful websites that you have no problem accessing at home... Also allows several computers and mobile devices to connect at once, rather than the old dongle that I used to have...

I noticed when looking at the website that the tariff I'm on is no longer available, but there are some good monthly deals.
A useful bit of technology to have in your geography department, and has certainly saved me a fortune on hotel wifi vouchers...

Disclaimer: other mobile broadband services are available... 

Comments