Practical Pedagogies - Post 7 - Granularity


One of the fascinating displays in the main reception area and corridors was the display using grains of rice to visualise numbers.

I didn’t get round to making my own display, although I had a few ideas for what that might include.

It is helpful to visualise the scale of some world events and enable comparisons.

Each grain of rice – 0.02g was representing 1 person.

For small numbers, the grains could be counted our, for others they were weighed. Rice and scales were provided.
Rice is also relatively cheap to buy in bulk, and all that is needed are a few cheap sets of electronic scales – will check in Tiger when I head there.

There are more pictures of the displays in my Flickr album from the conference.

Image: Alan Parkinson, click for biggery

Comments