Isle of Dogs

I've been telling everyone I've seen for the last month that they have to go and see Wes Anderson's 'Isle of Dogs'. This is still showing in some cinemas as I write this blogpost, and is a real tour de force of creativity and filmmaking. It's a stop-motion animation which involved hundreds of people for a year and a half, and the creation of tens of thousand of bespoke props and different methods of filming at different scales.
The story concerns the cat loving Kobayashi dynasty, and the fate of the Mayor's son and his dog, alongside a group of other dogs who have been exiled to Trash Island.
My son and I visited the exhibition of sets and figures from the film, which had just opened at the time, and we were able to go in, and collect some memorabilia.
We went to see it at Store X on the Strand in London, which was a temporary space. The exhibits, like the plane crash site above, were incredibly detailed and I loved the Taiko drummers who open the film.We also loved the full sized noodle bar, and the scale of Megasaki city and the temple in the opening shots.

Try to see the film. Thanks to my colleague Claire for sourcing an American copy of the screenplay for my son too.

Images: Alan Parkinson - CC licensed

Comments