The Fear Instinct

I've been teaching the Fear Instinct Chapter of Factfulness recently: Chapter 4 and been reflecting on what I did, and the outcomes from students.
I've been re-using something I wrote a few years ago for a Year 9 scheme, and it was supposed to have been published but never was.
It explores the work of Professor David Spiegelhalter.
Watch Professor Risk talking about his daily life, and decisions that people make which are related to risk. It's an entertaining watch, which I have used many times before with students of all ages.

If something exposes you to a micromort of risk, this means it exposes you to a one-in-a-million chance of dying.

Micromorts are a one in a million chance that something will result in your death. It was an idea first suggested in the 1970s.

A useful article here on the reasons why some things we think are dangerous are less dangerous than we thought.

Comments