The Great Flood


If I were called in
To construct a religion
I should make use of water
Philip Larkin

This week, communities in South Yorkshire have once again been hit by flooding after torrential rainfall led to rivers overflowing and rainfall entering homes in Rotherham, Sheffield, Doncaster and other places.
I've been exploring images and stories from many familiar places in those towns and cities.

This book by Edward Platt explores our relationship with flooding. 
I started reading it the day before the flooding happened.

I've been storing some images from the most recent flood onto my Pinterest account in a folder.

A review from the New Statesman.

Some details of the book are here.

You can listen to five extracts from the book on the Radio 4 website, as it has been a recent Book of the Week.

Some thoughts from an interview with the author.

Comments