GeographyPages Nuggets #1 - Lines of Defence

Back in 2001, I created a website, which was one of the first Geography education websites, along with those created by David Robinson, David Rayner and Geography Jim.

It found an audience and was soon attracting millions of page views, and costing me hundreds of pounds in bandwidth. The original idea was that back then there was a telephone directory and if you needed a phone number you went to the Yellow Pages.

The website was called GeographyPages. 
The idea being that if you needed a geography website you went to the Geography Pages - a geography directory of links.

I created a page for lots of Geography topics and added links to them as I came across them. In the early days of the internet there weren't many websites, but the site grew rapidly.

As the site grew I started to add other elements to the site, including resource downloads and links to projects etc. This is how it looked around about 2011. Some good memories there of previous work and projects I was involved in.



The site lasted until 2013, when I started my new teaching job and had no time to keep it updated. It was also getting a bit dated by then.
If you go the web address now, you'll see a holding page created by Richard Allaway linking through to our current online support for teachers.

You can still access large parts of it via the Wayback Machine / Internet Archive.

I had cause to take a look recently when I heard about the end of the SLN Forum. The Staffordshire Learning Network was a major influence and support on my work from around 2004 onwards, and I am still in touch with many colleagues who became my friends back then.

I rediscovered a few forgotten nuggets which those who were around back then as well may remember. 
I'm going to share some as an occasional series of posts on the blog.

Here's the first. A film showing rapid erosion of flags on the Suffolk Coast.
Still available on Vimeo...
Lines of Defence from Dylski on Vimeo.

Who remembers this, and what other SLN / GeographyPages memories do people have?
Another nugget in a few days.

Comments