Christmas Gift Guide 2020

Each year, I share some ideas for the geography teacher in your life... which could be you, or a partner or a colleague, or me... of gift options for the festive period. I think we are more in need of a lift than ever this year.

1. The Ordnance Survey shop is a good place to start. 

Their shop often has discounts and other offers. It's a pity I no longer have my GetOutside discount to use sadly, but there are likely to be some discounts to be had as we move towards Christmas, particularly if you subescribe to the newsletter. They offer a range of map related products including the new activity map with Tom Morgan Jones inkings I blogged about a few weeks ago from 'Strumpshaw,Tincleton & Gigglewick's Marvellous Maps collection.

For further reading, there's also a brand new quiz book which can be purchased from all good book shops, or supermarkets.

2. The new Nancy Campbell book is excellent.

Called 'Fifty words for Snow', it contains 50 short pieces of writing on different locations and their connection with snow, ice and cold weather. I would say it was suitably Christmassy but I can't remember the last time we had snow at Christmas while in the UK... 

If ordering books, you could also order them from an alternative to Amazon. This provides more money direct to independent bookshops and is called UK Bookshop. Click the link here. Or just visit your local bookshop.

3. Alasdair Rae has been making a range of excellent maps using a number of different tools. He has started to sell them as well in his print shop.

You can order a print of his World Population map via his Etsy shop, or via Amazon. 

4. Several people are making Christmassy face masks, which we will still be wearing for a while yet - I think some people have now got used to wearing them, and they also keep your face warm when you are on duty. Fiona Old on Twitter has just taken delivery of some new fabric and made me some map masks earlier in the year which fit very well.

5. Why not buy someone an individual subscription to Anthony Bennett's Internet Geography Plus? It's the price of a couple of decent bottles of wine, but will last for a whole year.

6. I've bought quite a few geography related pin badges this year. There are several organisations that are selling them to raise funds, or to represent membership of particular organisations. I won't share them yet, as some of the pins I've bought are for gifts. There will also be a chance for you to earn a limited edition pin badge in the new year.

7. If you want to go high end, then the Shackleton clothing is very attractive. I have a Shackleton woollen jumper which I bought in a sale at the Natural History Museum shop at a bargain price. These are not cheap, but high quality, and based on original designs from the Trans-Antarctic Expedition. Alternatively, head for 66 North. My fleece that I bought in 2011 is still going strong, and one of the most comfortable things I have. It's the thing I put on when I come home from work, or when popping out to the shops. The particular fleece I have is now no longer available, and the closest to it is about £200 now.

8. You could support Stanfords and get a gift using one of their options at the moment.

9. Subscribe to a magazine, and get a whole year's worth of gifts quarterly, monthly etc. Membership of the Geographical Association also has a number of journal subscription options.

10. And finally, out for just over a month and still getting good reviews from those who have read it, is my book 'Why Study Geography?' which is available in various ways online.

Comments