Chalk one up


An interesting long read in 'The Guardian' on chalk: a rock which makes up a large part of the UK's bedrock stretching all the way from East Anglia and the famous striped cliffs at Hunstanton all the way down to the south coast, and the famous Old Harry Rocks of the Foreland. 

It is one of the rocks that gets taught at KS3 very often because of its association with particular stretches of coastline, landforms, and as a rock type which is affected by solution. At GCSE it can lead to distinctive landscapes, although limestone and granite are more often selected.

If I was to dig down below the village where I live, I would reach chalk, as I would for most of Norfolk.


BGS Map Viewer for my village.

To find out what lies below your feet, visit the British Geological Survey mapping site, or download the MySoil app.

Comments