GAConf22: Presidential Lecture: 'Everyday Geographies - the power of the quotidian' - #17 of many

The latest in a series of posts showcasing sessions which are included in the programme for the GA Conference in April 2022.

This for me will be the main event of course.

I've been preparing for this for over 2 years in a sense through my various projects, many of which I will reference, along with the people I've worked with and the influence of the everyday.

At the time of blogging I have a relatively large number of slides in place and stories I want to tell. I have around 50 minutes for my talk and am looking forward to sharing stories, some of my favourite images and perhaps a few jokes. There are references to all sorts of influences, including Georges Perec, Paula Zuccotti, Ian Cook, Mission:Explore and influences of people I've worked with since my first job back in 1988.

'Everyday Geographies’ - the power of the quotidian 

Drawing on the work of Georges Perec and others, Alan will explore the geography that lies behind everyday actions. There has been a tendency perhaps to focus on extreme and 'attention seeking' school geographies instead of celebrating the mundane and the quotidian. Looking at these actions through a geographical lens reveals the power of the everyday. We are all 'living geography' and most of it is ordinary rather than extra-ordinary. Alan will draw on his 30 years of classroom experience, and almost 20 years of blogging to demonstrate the power of 'the things we do without really thinking about why we do them' and what has happened since the 16th of March 2020 when everybody's 'everydays' changed. 

Alan Parkinson, Head of Geography, Kings Ely Junior, President of the Geographical Association 2021-22 

Lecture 

I really hope to see as many of you as possible there.

Comments