Perec

I'm going to be mentioning Georges Perec a lot in the next few months, and he was a big part of my GA Presidential Lecture a few weeks ago now... time goes so quickly.

Thanks to Sharon Witt for sending through a few links of interest with respect to Perec.

The Thin Silence blog has a number of posts relating to his work and is wll worth taking a look at.

When I go to the IGU in Paris I am going to be paying my own tribute to Perec.



Place de Saint Sulpice is about 15 minutes walk from the Sorbonne where the IGU is based. This was the square where Perec spent three days trying to 'exhaust' this place in Paris, and I will be heading there to pay my respects and doing my own observations.

This is an excellent article by Richard Phillips, which also references our work on Mission:Explore and others such as Keri Smith. (PDF download) in an exploration of Perec's work which reminds us that it is not just to be skim read for quotations but engaged with more deeply.

Ref: Richard Phillips (2018) Georges Perec’s experimental fieldwork; Perecquian fieldwork, Social & Cultural Geography, 19:2, 171-191, DOI: 10.1080/14649365.2016.1266027

Comments