Farm on the Freeway

According to this very useful BBC Futures page, the average age of the farming workforce in the UK is older than ever, and there are few young people who are looking to move into a career in farming.


This Yorkshire Bylines piece describes the issues facing the industry, and some possible actions that will be a consquence of the issues.

It seems that one (shortsighted) and apparently short term option is to pay farmers a lump sum to give up their farm.

The idea apparently is that they can apply to receive a lump sum exit payment of up to £100,000 – as long as they either sell their land, rent it out, give it away, or plant trees on it.

This reminded me of the Jethro Tull track 'Farm on the Freeway', which I've seen performed live quite a few times over the years.

Nine miles of two-strand topped with barbed wire
Laid by the father for the son.
Good shelter down there on the valley floor,
Down by where the sweet stream run.
Now they might give me compensation
That's not what I'm chasing. I was a rich man before yesterday.
Now all I have got is a cheque and a pickup truck.
I left my farm on the freeway.

Comments