Notes from a PGCE #1: The Role of Geography in Education - an overview

The first of a series of posts which may be of interest to those who are completing their PGCE this year (or completed it in other years). This is a cross posting from my GA Presidents Blog.

As I've blogged about previously, I completed my PGCE between 1986 and 1987 at the University of Hull.

My tutor was the rather lovely W V Tidswell. He has his entry on the blog here. He was very much associated with the work of the GA, and in the vanguard of the quantitative revolution.

I did teaching practice at Withernsea Primary School, Andrew Marvell School and my main stint was at Bransholme School.

We had our theory (Main Method) sessions in a lecture theatre but mostly in a bungalow off the Cottingham Road. My picture of it is below:


Image: Alan Parkinson, shared under CC license

The posts will all be tagged #pgce1986

The first session with Vincent used the research of Molly Long, GA President in 1970.

As you can see, the quality of the photocopying back then was a little shocking and the page also had Vincent's impenetrable handwriting at the top :)

The research involved asking students their opinions on 25 tasks they might be asked to do in a geography lesson. I think we were supposed to avoid the ones they didn't like and do more of the ones they did like.

To read more, go to the research itself, the link is below, and TG subscribers can access this.

LONG, MOLLY. “The Interests of Children in School Geography.” Geography, vol. 56, no. 3, 1971, pp. 177–190. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/40567553.

In Week 1, the session was on the Role of Geography in Education - an Overview

My notes were typed up and printed on my Amstrad PCW8256 computer - a real workhorse for the first part of my teaching career too. No Internet yet of course.

PGCE 1986 Week 1 by GeoBlogs on Scribd


There were mentions for Rex Walford, James Fairgrieve, Peter Hall and John Holt.

I'd love to see other people sharing some highlights from their own PGCE courses - whether they were last year or even earlier than mine. 

Comments