New year thoughts: Gabriel

At the start of summer 2023 I had the very great pleasure of seeing Peter Gabriel playing live, over 36 years after I saw him for the first time, touring his 'So' album. I wore the t-shirt I bought back then (it still fits fine)...

I liked this piece in The Economist (I have a digital subscription through school).

It's a reminder of the importance of remaining creative the whole of your life, and this goes for teachers as well. Even though I've been doing the job since the 1980s, I still feel the need to create new things and take risks. I can't say I'm as creative as Gabriel of course.

I also realised that quite a few of my favourite musicians are now in their 70s...

Members of Rush

Jan Garbarek and Rainer Bruninghaus

Peter Gabriel of course

Even Pat Metheny will turn 70 this year and he's as youthful as ever... I hope he comes to the UK on his current tour

The remaining members of The Who - who I saw last summer as well

Don't just spend your time playing your greatest hits that everybody knows the words to.

Make the most of your time. It's your most precious resource.

Comments