This is one of a series of blog posts linked to the research I did for the 'Discover Geography' series, and mentioning some of the reading I did to prepare some of the chapters.
Not all of this material made it into the final book so I'm sharing it in these posts.
We know that humanity developed in Africa, before Homo sapiens.
This Cambridge University post explains the significance of the OMO I remains which were found in the Omo Kibish Formation in southwestern Ethiopia.
“It’s probably no coincidence that our earliest ancestors lived in such a geologically active rift valley – it collected rainfall in lakes, providing fresh water and attracting animals, and served as a natural migration corridor stretching thousands of kilometres,” said Oppenheimer. “The volcanoes provided fantastic materials to make stone tools, and from time to time we had to develop our cognitive skills when large eruptions transformed the landscape.”
These places are the birth place of all humanity.
We are all African.
We are all migrants.

Comments