DG Outtake #15 - Dollar Street activities

This is one of a series of blog posts linked to the research I did for the 'Discover Geography' series, and mentioning some of the reading I did to prepare some of the chapters.

Not all of this material made it into the final book so I'm sharing it in these posts.

I produced some activities which are not going to be included in the final book in the end.

One of them included some images from the Dollar Street Website.



I included images are from the Dollar Street website. They showed two Kenyan families and their homes and households.

Put the images side by side and add the questions below

Figure 1 : Family 1


Figure 1: Family 1 live on an income of $32 a month

Figure 2 Family 2


Figure 2 – Family 2 live on an income of $1051 a month.

All Dollar Street resources are available to use freely according to CC license.

Which of the following families do you think best matches the description below, Family 1 or 2? 

If you are unsure, write both.

  • Sleep in a bed rather than on the floor
  • Have a laptop computer
  • Have a fridge in which to keep food
  • Have a toilet which is inside rather than outside
  • Have a phone
  • Have a lock on their front door
  • Have no TV but hope to buy one when they get the money

Comments